Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Generations' JFK Assassination

November 22, 1963.  Does that date mean anything to you?  If not, that was the day the 35th President, JFK, was assassinated.  To be honest this date doesn't mean much to me, however for my parents and grandparents it means so much more.  It was a day that most of them remember exactly what they were doing, & where they were when they heard the news about JFK.  It has been said that every generation has its monumental moment; mine was September 11, 2001. 

This year was the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks.  Every year you remember those who lost their lives that day and those heroes who responded not only that day but the following weeks and months following the attacks.  But honestly, I never thought 10 years would go so fast.  I remember my parents saying you'll remember that day for the rest of your life, I thought they were full of it. 

So where was I 10 years ago?      
I was in 7th grade at Pocahontas Area-Rolfe Center sitting in 1st period History class with Mr. P.  I'm 90% sure I was wearing sweatpants and a hooded sweatshirt and was in complete shock.  We watched the news most of the day and don't think we got any work accomplished.  I wish we had patriotism everyday like we do on September 11. 

September 11, 2001 is definitely my generations JFK; something that people will never forget and it changed how we lived our lives.  Where were you 10 years ago?



No comments:

Post a Comment