Friday, September 14, 2012

A change in direction

Today I quit my job at Office Max and accepted a position as a research assistant in the Cancer Prevention Control Department on campus and became an official Colorado resident.  I'm slightly overwhelmed and nervous!  I hope that I am as great of a person, student, worker that my new bosses think I am.  I do feel very blessed on having the opportunity to work with a wonderful department and  have them help me reach my goals of cancer research and becoming an oncologist.

Even though I've never intended on returning to Iowa, it is still and will forever be my home.  I don't tell people I'm from Denver or even Colorado.  I say I live in Colorado but I am an Iowa farm kid.  It was a very bittersweet moment today getting rid of my Iowa license plates.  Is it a sign I actually need to be an adult and grow up now?  Mom, Dad....HELP!!! There is a part of me that wants to stay the baby of the family forever; feel protected by my family members.

I'm really excited about this change in direction, working for something that will help me further my career not to just pay the bills but I can't help to be skeptical.  What if I find out my dream of working with cancer patients, researching cancer, and being in that arena in general is a bust and I hate it?!

**yes I'm aware this song is about dating, but it has been stuck in my head all day and minus the dating part it could fit this post ;) **

No comments:

Post a Comment